Definition "Sharing is the joint use of a resource or space. In its narrow sense, it refers to joint or alternating use of an inherently finite good, such as a common pasture or a shared residence. It is also the process of dividing and distributing." (Source: Wikipedia (en), 1.11.2013)
- The process of distributing can also be seen as the last part of the 'publishing' process e.g. cartography and (data driven) journalism.
- Sharing of geospatial data is complicated and hampered because of complexity and novelty/immatureness of the domain.
Come with an idea - go home with a web map...
- Hands-on/mini course "Come with an idea - go home with a web map: Tools for sharing maps and vector data"
- held at "Workshop on Sharing Geospatial Data"
- 31. Okt. - 2. Nov. 2013, University of Bern, Bern
The workshop programme is about the following:
- Basics of thematic mapping and geovisualization
- From the idea and collection of data to the making, publishing and sharing of maps
- Discussion of some free online map making and map publishing tools
- About data access webservices (background maps) and data formats
- Excursus about TileMill and CartoCSS
- Design and publish your own web map (using TileMill)
- Tools to extract and transform (i.e. convert) vector data
- Handout/slides: see Slideshare.com.
- Skript of lab exercise: tbd.
- Data "Workshop Compilation" of lab exercise: tbd.