Workshop QGIS Python GeoPython 2018
- Workshop about QGIS Processing Framework: Automating Tasks with Python
- by Prof. Stefan Keller and Kang Zi Jing, Geometa Lab at HSR Rapperswil
- 7 May, 2018, Basel/Muttenz, https://2018.geopython.net/
Ever had to automate a task in geospatial data analysis? In this workshop you learn how to do this using QGIS and Python. We start with an overview then we present the Processing framework and how it comes together to allow pythonic scripting. Finally we're getting real with some hands-on exercises.
Geospatial data analysis and processing often requires us to run series of intermediate tasks repetitively. An example where we need to invoke the same methods on different data sets. A way to automate, as well as potentially to simplify these tasks is through scripting, which can be achieved using Python within QGIS, the popular open source GIS.
This workshop we start with an overview of QGIS, then it moves on to introduce Python programming in QGIS (PyQGIS). Then we discuss QGIS' Processing framework and how it allows the use of pythonic scripting, before we’re going in-depth to explain how to automate tasks using Python scripts, which would otherwise require repetition of the same process/running of code. Afterwards, we show you how you can use and create custom scripts on QGIS with our own hands-on exercises. We’re wrapping the course on how one can use the Processing framework and how one can create pythonic scripts in QGIS or otherwise, to help automating tasks for future use.
This course makes use of QGIS 3 and incorporates certain GIS knowledge, but still keeps it friendly enough for beginners or first-timers. So, we welcome both enthusiasts who are eager to learn how to script in Python, as well as those interested in learning more about geospatial data analysis and processing.
License of source code is GPL2, license of material is CC-BY-4.0 unless stated otherwise.
- 5 min: Introduction and Welcome (Stefan)
- 5 min: Introduction to QGIS (Stefan)
- 25 min: Introduction to Processing framework
- 20 min: Introduction to Workflow
- 60 min: Hands-on Exercises
- 5 min: Wrap-up & Conclusion
- GitHub repository: https://github.com/geometalab/GeoPythonConf2018-QGIS-Processing-Workshop
- Official QGIS Documentation 'releases newer than QGIS 3.x': https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing/
Hardware and Software
Hardware: Bring your own device!
- You need a regular computer (Windows, Linux, Mac) with admin credentials (in case QGIS is not yet installed)
- Wi-Fi capabilities
- QGIS: We need current QGIS Version 3.0! Any version earlier than 3.0 would not work!
- Python 3.6
- Web browser
- Workshop_QGIS_Python_GeoPython_2017 on Expression Functions.